What tickles your funny bone, especially during the holiday season? Cherished memories of things that didn’t quite go according to plan? You know the kind…not so funny in the moment, but hilarious down the road.
Pulling a fire-y turkey from the oven might be one such memory. Or falling and twisting an ankle while working off some of those excess pounds by throwing a football around.
Still, there can be a fine line between what eventually becomes funny vs. those memories that weren’t funny then, and never will be.
To help ensure you don’t experience any such mishaps this Thanksgiving or throughout the holiday season, we urge you to follow these important safety tips.
- Keep flammable items and children well out of reach of lit candles. For added safety, use LED flameless candles instead.
- Stay away from decorations that resemble food items. You know the difference, but not all tiny tots do.
- Keep kids out of the kitchen during meal prep and cleaning. There are just too many things that can go wrong.
- Turkeys need to be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees to prevent food poisoning.
- Never douse a grease fire with water, as the fire can thus spread. Turn off the burner, smother the flames with a lid (wearing an oven mitt!), or douse with baking soda or a fire extinguisher if it’s getting out of hand.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling raw meat and use two cutting boards to prevent the spread of bacteria.
- Facing pot handles towards the rear of the stove can save them from being knocked over and scalding people nearby.
- Unplug appliances that are small and unnecessary; it’s a smart way to save energy and eliminate potential dangers if something is accidently turned on.
- When the party is over, do a thorough inspection of your home to make sure all candles have been put out.
Okay, how would you like to prevent one more headache? Great, then be very careful what you pour down the drain or place in your garbage disposal. That’s because the day after Thanksgiving happens to be the busiest drain cleaning day of the year for plumbers across the land, including right here in central New Jersey.
Still, if all the caution in the world doesn’t prevent a problem at your house, count on Anthony’s Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning to clear that clogged drain on time and with your satisfaction guaranteed.