Owning a home can be full of surprises, both good and bad. Discovering a box full of antique, collectible coins in the attic? Very good! Discovering that hidden critters have chewed through your electrical wiring in the basement? Very bad.
Some of the most frustrating discoveries occur during home remodeling projects. There you are, trying to give your home a much-needed facelift, and you find out that your timeline – and budget – have just taken a big hit due to one or more unforeseen circumstances.
Here are just some of the problems you might discover during a home makeover.
- Ripping out wall-to-wall carpet to expose that beautiful hardwood floor – along with the stained, smelly floor boards in the center of the room where the previous owners’ dog staked out his turf.
- Removing a wall to create that open-concept kitchen/dining room you’ve been dreaming of, only to learn that your electrical wiring is outdated and not up to code.
- Replacing your bathtub or shower and finding rusty, corroded pipes, or poorly installed drains.
- Removing drywall in the bathroom and discovering mold.
- Having new kitchen or bathroom cabinets installed and learning that the piping is too high for the shiny new, under-mount sink you’ve already purchased.
What makes these kinds of problems even worse is when they come to light right after you’ve moved into a new home. You had x amount of dollars budgeted for your down payment, another amount for your planned renovation, and now it turns out you need to dig even deeper – or scale back your plans.
Before you hit the panic button, be sure to contact Anthony’s Plumbing, Heating & Air for any help you might need with your plumbing, heating, or cooling systems. Better yet, if you’d like to avoid problems in the first place, contact us for our annual preventive maintenance services. Each one is designed not only to prevent problems but reduce possible repairs costs, keep your system running at peak efficiency, and all while help you reduce your utility costs.