You read a lot these days about bathroom safety for seniors and small children. There are two sides to that coin.
Side one: Seniors and small children are the two age groups most prone to bathroom mishaps and injuries.
Side two: No one is immune from bathroom related accidents.
One of the more common bathroom “adventures” occurs when the water suddenly turns hot – really hot – while you’re taking a shower. The experience typically lasts only a few seconds but it’s long enough to result in scalding. Plus, the suddenness of it could cause you to lose your balance and fall.
What causes shower temperature fluctuations?
When a toilet is flushed, cold water flows into the tank and, as a result, lowers the water pressure in cold-water pipes. If someone is taking a shower at the same time, reduced cold water pressure can suddenly and drastically increase water temperature in the shower.
Anti-scald valves sense and correct for the sudden loss of cold water from a showerhead. That means added safety and more of what you take a shower for – comfort and convenience.
More bathroom safety features
- Anti-slip tub or shower floor mats
- Anti-slip flooring, such as rubber or non-glazed tile
- Grab bars in and around the tub or shower
- Grab bars next to the toilet
- Hi-seat toilets so seniors don’t have to stoop as low, and have an easier time standing back up
- Bathtub benches
- Walk-in tubs
- Hand-held shower head, which reduces the amount of turning and twisting
- Child-proof locks on all lower cabinets and anywhere else medicines and household cleaners are kept
For more information on how Anthony’s Plumbing can improve bathroom safety for family members and guests alike, contact us today. And remember: all service and repair work is backed by our 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.