Are you paying more and more to cool your home? If so, all kinds of factors could be at work contributing to the problem. That, in turn, means there are several potential ways to reduce your monthly electricity bill.
There also are a few things you shouldn’t do – otherwise, things not to do, like closing inside doors. Simply put, that will increase, not decrease your cooling costs. What’s more, polluted air will work its way into your living spaces.
Here’s what happens you close doors:
- At least some cool air will work its way inside shut-off rooms.
- That same air will look for ways out as part of the air circulation process. That shouldn’t be too difficult given the presence of uninsulated switches or sockets, gaps under and around doors, uncaulked window seams, and so on. As conditioned air exits, a vacuum forms that enables airborne pollutants to enter.
In the meantime, your AC system is working harder to overcome the air circulation obstructions, thus driving up your utility costs while creating the potential for repair problems from the added wear and tear.
More Ways to Save Money
Of course, it takes more than an open bedroom door to fully optimize airflow and reduce your cooling costs. Here are more helpful tips:
- Install cold air returns in rooms that must be kept closed.
- Install a transfer grill to the side or on top of doors you wish to keep closed.
- Have your air ducts inspected and sealed as appropriate.
- Clean or replace your AC filter regularly per manufacturer instructions.
- Keep window treatments closed during the day, especially those facing the sun.
- Install a whole-house attic fan to give your AC system a breather overnight. Once the inside temperature matches or falls below the outside temperature, shut off the AC and turn on the fan.
If you’re already doing everything you can to cut energy consumption but just aren’t satisfied with the results, contact Anthony’s Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning to schedule preventive maintenance. It’s a great way to keep your system in top running condition.