Winter can be a magical time of year, filled with snow covered trees, powdery hillsides, and cozy evenings in front of a crackling fire. But it has another side – one that brings freezing temps, blinding snowsqualls, and wind gusts that can knock out power to entire neighborhoods for days.
And while there’s nothing you can do to prevent severe winter weather, you can protect your home and family before, during, and after a storm by following a few simple tips.
Before a Winter Storm
- Test all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors monthly and replace the batteries every six months.
- Service snow removal equipment and stock up on sand or ice melt before you need it.
- Restock emergency supplies like non-perishable food items, bottled water, flashlights, and batteries in case of a power outage.
- Have chimneys and fireplaces inspected annually to ensure safe operation.
- Insulate water pipes located in unheated areas and those that run along exterior walls to prevent freezing.
During a Winter Storm
- Keep as much heat inside your home as possible; keep those windows and doors closed.
- Resist the urge to consume caffeinated or alcoholic beverages as they accelerate heat loss.
- In case of a power outage and, subsequently, no heat, pre-arrange to stay elsewhere.
- Prolong the life of refrigerated and frozen food items by keeping the doors closed as much as possible.
- Never leave a space heater or fireplace unattended, and never use your oven as a source of heat.
After a Winter Storm
- If you had to evacuate your home, do not enter if you smell gas. Instead, call 9-1-1 from a safe location.
- Keep away from downed electrical wires; they may be live and could cause serious injury.
- If your home has suffered water damage and there is standing water, shut off the main power source to prevent flooding and electrocution.
- Remember: When in doubt, throw it out. Do not eat food that you suspect has gone bad.
No matter how severe the storm, our team of plumbing and HVAC professionals will come to your aid as quickly as possible but without risking the safety of our technicians. If you’re out of heat, hot water, have cracked and frozen pipes, and who knows what else, we’ll get everything fixed not just in timely fashion, but with your satisfaction guaranteed. Contact Anthony’s today or anytime for service.