Hard water, at times, can be hardly noticeable. And more than 90% of home water supplies – city or well – have at least trace levels of calcium and magnesium. These are leading causes of hard water and, once the levels get too high, can cause serious damage, inconvenience, and costs you otherwise wouldn’t need to absorb.
While hard water presents no health risks, it does leave several telltale signs, including these:
- Dull whites after washing your clothes
- Fewer suds to wash your clothes and dishes, thus forcing you to use more detergent or run each cycle twice
- A milky haze on dishes and glasses from the dishwasher
- Dull, dry hair
- Itchy skin
- Internal pipe corrosion
- Corrosion inside your water tank that can eventually cause it to crack, thus forcing you to replace it prematurely
Hard water also causes scale buildup on plumbing fixtures and appliances along with higher water bills.
The Solution to Hard Water Conditions
With a whole-house water softener from Anthony’s Plumbing, your hard water problems will be erased. A water softener is a mechanical appliance that we plumb into your water supply system. It’s designed to swap out the minerals for another substance, usually sodium. This process is called ion exchange.
Some of the sodium used to flush out the minerals will remain in the water, and you might notice a slight salty taste. But that can be eliminated by installing an under-sink water filter in your kitchen, one that works in close collaboration with your water softener. Under-sink water filters are popular among customers on restricted salt diets.
Once your water is softened, you’ll enjoy cleaner clothes, whiter whites, cleaner dishes, and less money spent on personal and home cleaning supplies. You’ll also notice less wear and tear on your water-using appliances and pipes.
Here are some additional benefits of water softening:
- Reduced energy bills. Lesser amounts of magnesium and calcium in your water reduces the amount of energy needed to operate your washing machine, dish washer, and other water-using appliances.
- Your house-cleaning chores will be simplified. While cleaning with hard water creates soap scum, softer water is far better at producing a lather from soap. This lather makes it more effective at cleaning and rinsing and, as such, will reduce the amount you spend on cleaning products.
- Extends the life of underground sewer pipes. Limescale from hard water reduces the diameter of pipes by forming an interior layer that gradually enlarges itself. This process forces increased water pressure, which can damage the sewer system. Once again, a water softener can and will solve that problem.
Contact Anthony’s Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning today for a free in-home consultation on how to improve the quality of your home water supply. We have the right solution for any home, and any budget.