Certain things happen around your house you’d prefer not to deal with. But they happen anyway, because pleasant or unpleasant, certain tasks and mishaps simply can’t be avoided.
Take a blocked sewer drain, for example. Since most of these pipes reside underground, you can’t see them – inside or out. But that doesn’t mean you can’t tell when trouble is brewing. Just be alert to these common warning signs. Here are a few key examples.
- Higher-than-normal water bill. If you can’t account for a significantly higher bill, the cause could be a cracked and leaking sewer drain.
- Reduced water pressure. If water is leaking from one or more drainpipes, water pressure is bound to be reduced throughout your home. But if the water pressure reduction is confined to one faucet or appliance, something else is causing it.
- Unpleasant odors. Once a sewer line cracks, you’re bound to experience telltale indoor odors you’ll want to get rid of – in a hurry.
- One blocked drain problem after another. An occasional blocked drain problem is to be expected. But one after another? That suggests there’s a bigger problem going on, and one that can’t resolve itself.
- Patches of lush, green grass. What’s inside your sewer drainpipes is great for trees, shrubs, and bushes – unless it’s confined to the pipes. But should some of it escape through a crack or breakage, liquid matter will rise to the surface and act like fertilizer. Meaning, for example, that your lawn will turn lush and green – or even more so – in just that one area. If that becomes noticeable, you can bet something’s going on below ground that needs to be corrected.
- Mold problem. Mold growth may also be a sign of a break in your sewer lines behind your walls. There is mold that only needs the humidity level to be higher than 55% to start growing. Considering that, a cracked sewer pipe behind a wall can cause the humidity levels to rise to a point where you can’t help but notice by sight and odor. Other causes are possible, but don’t rule out a cracked sewer pipe.
If you’re experiencing one or more symptoms of a blocked or cracked sewer, contact Anthony’s Plumbing, Heating & Air for prompt and expert service. Whatever it takes, we’ll set things right with your satisfaction guaranteed.