Water heaters require regular maintenance to perform at their best and provide the maximum in family safety. That’s why Anthony’s Plumbing, Heating & A/C recommends annual water heater performance and safety inspections.
Health & Safety Matters
Throughout the inspection process, our primary focus is the safe operation of your water heater. Here’s just some of what we look out for:
- Potential for Burns – Children and the elderly are especially vulnerable to scalding. To play it safe, we recommend setting and keeping the thermostat at 120 degrees or less.
- Carbon Monoxide Leaks – The leading cause of accidental poisoning in the United States, carbon monoxide can leak from any fuel burning appliance, including your gas water heater.
- Natural Gas Leaks – Natural gas has a rotten egg smell which aids in prompt detection and evacuation. Our goal is to prevent gas leaks since natural and propane gasses are highly combustible.
During a routine inspection, we’ll check the heating elements and other components of your water heater, partly to determine if any parts need to be replaced. We’ll also check water pressure, the thermostat, and surrounding pipes for buildup and clean them to prevent clogs. If we spot any signs of rust, that could indicate corrosion inside your storage tank. In fact, you should constantly be on the lookout for rust-colored hot water, a sure sign of internal corrosion that most likely means your water heater needs to be replaced.
How You Benefit
Through annual water heater inspections and your own monitoring activities, you stand to gain a great deal, including:
- Up to a 15% savings in your home energy bills
- Fewer repairs and lower repair costs – The whole point of preventive maintenance is to stop repair problems from ever occurring.
- Extended lifespan – The better care your water heater receives, the longer you can expect it to last. And that means a total lower cost of ownership.
Has it been a year or longer since your last home water heater inspection? If so, contact Anthony’s today to request service, and allow us to take better care of your family.